Friday, January 21, 2011

Musings of a new bride...

The glow has not worn off yet. My honey and I got hitched less than a week ago and I am still feeling the wedding love, which is not surprising since I've loved him for nearly seven years now. I guess I'm just feeling lucky that I found someone who is so perfect for me. Someone so supportive and someone who balances me out. We have everything I could ever want in a relationship. Considering all of the bad relationships I've seen, heard about, and been through, it's almost a miracle that this happened! I cherish him, us, and our kitty. I can't wait for our family to grow.......



I find it weird that some people seem taken aback by the fact that I did not and will not change my name. It is 2011 - not 1911. I fully support women changing their names and even more fully support men and women who change their names together! But it just wasn't for us. I did a little reading up on the whole name change thing before our nuptials. In the United States, women used to not be able to keep their names because they were seen as property. Wives=property. Blech. To me, my name is part of my identity. I'm not my husband's property. I'm his partner. I've had my name for 31 years and I don't think it's appropriate for me to change it. I'm just not that archaic. Because women fought so hard to keep their identities (birth names) in the late 1800s and early 1900s, I am going to keep mine not only to respect their struggle - but because it's the right thing for me to do.

Here's a little info on the Lucy Stone League: a tough group of ladies named after Lucy Stone, the first documented woman to keep her birth name - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Stone_League

Just call me a Lucy Stoner!

Some women like to say they changed their name because they want their children to have their last name...well, for most of my life my mother has had a different name than I have and I didn't mind it at all. As I said, it's 2011 - there are blended families now. There's no such thing as a "traditional family" anymore and, fuck, I'm glad. That being said, my future children will have their father's last name - don't want to bog them down with too many names. I mean, my feline son has his father's last name, so my human kids will be given that name as well. :-)

Speaking of feline son...he is chewing at my sweatshirt and licking my hand right now.
Gotta go!!!

1 comment:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Three cheers for your happiness! And "hear, hears" for bucking the patriarchy! Maybe in another hundred years women will be able to keep their names without getting grief about it.